As with other types of depression, antidepressant medications and talk therapy can be effective. To manage your symptoms at home:
- Spend time with other people who you can talk to and trust. Do not isolate. Let others help you.
- Get enough sleep.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Take medicines the right way, and learn how to manage the side effects.
- Learn how to watch for early signs that your depression is getting worse, and have a plan if it does get worse.
- Try to exercise or get active more often.
- Avoid alcohol and illegal drugs. These can make depression worse over time. They may also affect your judgment about suicide.
- Set realistic goals for yourself. Break large tasks into smaller tasks.
- Continue to educate yourself about depression.
Adapted from information provided by the National Institute of Mental Health.